Tuesday 14 July 2015

Do you unplug?

In a world where we are connected 24/7 by technology do you ever unplug?  Is there ever a time that you are not connected to facebook, twitter, instagram, google+ or the like?  When you are not texting or snap-chatting until the wee hours?

I have noticed that the more and more we are connected the less we are connected to the few and also the less quality.  I am guilty of this myself.  I take to facebook and upload pictures of my day with the girls in a way to keep friends and family informed and so I then think this is enough... I forget that some are not on facebook and so it can be weeks and weeks before I call.

Now I am now dissing technology or social media, quite the contrary as I love it.  It means I see and am kept informed about my cousins in Australia and there children, I can get messages out on masse when I have little time and I genuinely stay a bit more connected to my friends than I otherwise would BUT, it does also then mean we do not call as much, so therefore the information becomes a little less personal.

It means we do not always know how our friends and family are... after all social media is a snap shot and rarely do we share the personal things that we only allow a select few to know.

Another aspect I have noticed is when you are spending time with people and yet during your conversation with them they are texting or looking at the messages coming through on their phone, their facebook, twitter etc... updates, meaning they are not fully with you, you do not have their undivided attention.  There is a big increase of this complaints within relationships.

Therefore, I encourage you to have an "unplugged" day.  A day spent with your nearest and dearest and off your phone, away from social media.  A day away from the computer and all the enticing things it brings.  A day fully immersed in the company right in front of you.  It is surprising what you find out, the conversations you have the giggles and laughs that were unexpected.

If you are out and about it is amazing how much more you notice about your surroundings, things you may have been too busy to notice before.

Enjoy each and every moment of the day in the present moment, without expectations of what is to come what needs to be done.  I have four children of varying ages but what I love most about the younger ones is that everything is about that moment, not about what we are going to do tomorrow, or the next hour, or later it is about now.  It is very grounding because really on the reality of it all now is all we really have.  So I hope you can unplug and enjoy the now.

Do you Unplug


Love Life and Laughter

Traci x

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik